Thursday, April 30, 2009

Deadly Friend (1986)

3 / 5 Jan '09
Tagline: Some people are just better off dead
Directed By: Wes Craven
Written By: Diana Henstell, Bruce Joel Rubin
Actors Include: Kristy Swanson, Matthew Laborteaux, Michael Sharrett
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi
Length: 91 minutes
Banned: nope
Country: USA

Review:
I saw this as a kid and enjoyed it a little bit but still felt left down. I tried this again just the other day and walked away with the exact same opinion surprisingly. Paul who has a robot makes friends with Kristy Swanson (his next door neighbor). She ends up being beaten by her father and thrown down the stairs and dies, but Paul won't accept that. He ends up implanting a robochip from the robot into her brain in order to bring her back to life only things don't go quite as planned. It's actually not a bad idea really and with Wes Craven behind the project one would expect success. Instead we get sort of a melodrama and although the idea is kind of horrific I suppose it's far from scary or anything, in fact I'd say it's incredibly ridiculous and silly at moments. It still has a few moments that are worthwhile (flower vase in chest...even if it was a dream) but I guess I just expected so much more from this, even as a child I found this disappointing and well I still do. Still for a kid that can handle some red paint this could be a fun little robot film...except for all the killing!

No comments:

Post a Comment