Thursday, April 30, 2009

Death Ship (1980)

1.5 / 5 Dec '08
Tagline: Those Who Survive The Ghost Ship Are Better Off Dead!
Directed by: Alvin Rakoff
Written by: Jack Hill, David P. Lewis
Actors include: George Kennedy, Richard Crenna, Nick Mancuso
Genre: Horror
Length: 91 minutes
Banned: Finland, Norway
Country: UK/Canada

Review:
I don't know what the heck is wrong with my brain sometimes, but even though I only thought "Ghost Ship" was mediocre I had it in my head that I really wanted to see "Death Ship". Boy what a poor selection this one is as it's one of the most dull horror films I've ever seen. The concept is alright, a boat is sinking and a family clings to a lifeboat for safety. They run into a giant evil looking boat that is deserted and they climb aboard. Almost right from the start the boat starts "playing pranks (aka terrorizing)" on the family. The ship starts trying to knock people off, and well silly ghostly things happen that wouldn't scare a cat. Shortly of course they learn that the ship they are aboard was a Nazi torture ship, and it's out to get them. Fortunately for us it does eventually take a life or two...but that's after it's bored the pants off you for a very long time. This is one of those films that has a way better reputation than is actually deserved I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment