Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Eye (2002) aka Gin Gwai aka Jian Gui

4.5 / 5
Tagline: What if the reflection you see is not yours
Directed by: Oxide Pang, Chun Danny Pang
Written by: Jo o Yuet-chun Hui, Danny Pang
Actors include: Angelica Lee, Lawrence Chou, Chutcha Rujinanon
Genre: Horror, Drama
Length: 110 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Hong Kong/Singapore

Review:
I actually thought this was an interesting idea and a creepy execution. We have a girl who is blind and recieves a cornea transplant, only thing is it comes with more than she'd anticipated. She now sees ghosts, and not usually happy ones. There are a few jumpy moments (the hallway of the hospital), some freaky moments (the elevator...shivers) and yet the story is actually well thought out and logical. I am definitely shocked this hasn't been remade by Americans yet (update...it has now, I was so right!) but I guess I should give it another year or so before that happens. Definitely one of the few Asian films I'd recommend that nearly anyone watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment