Monday, July 20, 2009

Vengeance of the Zombies (1973) aka La Rebelion de las Muertas aka Revolt of the Dead Ones aka The Rebellion of the Dead Women aka Walk of the Dead

2 / 5 Jul '09
Tagline: A Modern Day Gothic Tale Of Horror And Fear
Directed by: Leon Klimovsky
Written by: Paul Naschy
Actors include: Paul Naschy, Romy, Mirta Miller
Genre: Horror
Length: 90 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Spain

Review:
I actually got this on blu-ray in a 2fer with another Paul Naschy, so I finally gave Mr. Naschy a chance. The picture was definitely clear...really clear...only that really didn't help this muddy ridiculous story. The first problem is that Paul himself plays three characters...the Devil, and two brothers, and he's a horrible actor (not so bad it's funny though...well kind of I suppose). The story is muddled and who even cares to try to decipher it, it has something to do with zombies, voodoo and revenge I think (and yes I watched the whole damned thing). It's extremely cheap, and the zombies look more like smurfs with their blue body paint than anything. Scares are non-existent and although there is some red paint spilled here and there, there isn't anything I can see a horror fan getting excited about. Seriously a weak attempt at making a film, one can only hope the rest of his material is better than this one (more because I've bought more of his films and I hope they are better...I'm just not about to find out for quite some time after this disaster). Oh I should mention that there was one thing I liked about this...the soundtrack, I would even consider listening to it on it's own! It's sort of jazzy and groovy and cool (the sets are sometimes groovy too), but I actually found myself humming a few numbers from this, but that is the nicest thing I can say. Avoid unless you like really bad and pointless films...then you may enjoy this...but I doubt it.

Availability:  On DVD and Blu-Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment