Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hausu (1977) aka House

5 / 5 Nov '09
Tagline: N/A
Directed by: Nobuhiko Obayashi
Written by: Chigumi Obayashi, Chiho Katsura
Actors include: Kimiko Ikegami, Kumiko Ohba, Yôko Minamida
Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Childrens, Drama....???
Length: 88 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Japan

Review:
Well coming up with a rating for this was difficult, I mean it is amazing in some ways and astounding in others. At first I thought, what the heck have I gotten myself into? It's a bizarre live action cartoon with insane jokes and strange little girls with personas not unlike the Powerpuff girls or something (one is fat, one is into karate etc). Then things get more surreal as it goes on, parts are animated, they can somehow see memories roll by like film and comment. I can't even begin to describe the things one will see in this film, but when it really gets strange is when it becomes a horror film. See the group of girls are going to stay with on of their Aunts in a big house. Things get weirder and weirder and let's just say it looks as though Pufnstuf goes to the blood bath with deaths one couldn't even imagine. I really have no way to describe this, I can only say hold out and make it through the film because you won't believe what's in store. I think my favorite part was fluffy white cat Snowflake, such a great pianist! I had no idea that a film like this even existed and I doubt there are any more like it. I'd say this would be a great children's movie, but I think one could be arrested just for saying it!

Availability:  Not on DVD as far as I can tell but you can grab it here: 
Part 1:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NI7U0TG9
Part 2:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TXWY4XHQ
Part 3:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0DR2VLO6
*as far as I know this is unavailable everywhere, if you are the owner of the copyright and wish this to be removed, I will do so immediately thanks & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment