Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Lift (1983) aka De Lift

4 / 5 Nov '09
Tagline: Take the stairs, take the stairs. For God's sake, take the Stairs!!!
Directed by: Dick Maas
Written by: Dick Maas
Actors include: Huub Stapel, Willeke van Ammelrooy, Josine van Dalsum
Genre: Horror, Drama
Length: 99 minutes
Banned: Nope
Country: Netherlands

Review:
Considering this is a serious film about a killer elevator, it's actually pretty entertaining! It has every death related to an elevator that one could dream up and everything! The big pitfalls here are that it goes on long (condensing would have been nice) and also a little less chatting and a little more deaths but those are pretty minor complaints. An elevator repair man is our lead along with a female reporter as they try to solve the mystery of why this elevator seems to be out for blood. Of course the Police are busy trying to blame people, nobody seems to take the elevator out of service despite many deaths being had and all the wrong people seem to be blamed. It's pretty darned amusing really, I'm quite glad I was able to get my mitts on a copy. I actually found out about this when I was a kid. I caught some special on horror films around the world and they showcased Dick Maas (who directed this 'un and the fabulously titled Amsterdamned) and I knew I had to see this. Interestingly enough in 2001 Mr. Maas remade this with a semi-famous cast and titled it Down.

Availability:  Not on DVD as far as I know

No comments:

Post a Comment