Monday, January 4, 2010

The Haunting (1963)

3 / 5 Dec '09
Tagline: You may not believe in ghosts but you cannot deny terror
Directed by: Robert Wise
Written by: Shirley Jackson, Nelson Gidding
Actors include: Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson
Genre: Horror
Length: 112 minutes
Banned: Nope





Review:
I really despised the remake so getting around to watching this was a real chore. The worst part is, I know this is considered a classic but I found it to be dullsville! Obviously House on Haunted Hill [The House on Haunted Hill] is quite similar as I believe both are based upon Shirley Jackson's tale "The Haunting Of Hill House" but I really thought that the other one was so much better than this. This was as dry as a bone, the parts that were supposed to be chilling I thought were laughably stupid and I was cheering for the house to get anyone. I guess silly noises and doors slamming just aren't my cup 'o tea, I am a rather difficult sell on most haunted house tales though. A bunch of people who don't know each other were invited to the house that is haunted. Our lead character Eleanor (who is annoyingly played by Julie Harris) has left her miserable life behind and is desperate to stay in the house. The one thing this does have going for it is atmosphere, it's a great gothic style setting and the staircase is something to see. I wouldn't take my word on this film as I seriously don't understand why it deserves all of the love it gets at all, and I seem to be in the extreme minority with my opinion. Watch it I guess but don't be surprised if you end up doing some major yawning.

Availabilty:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment